Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What you don't have

I spend a lot of time thinking about things I miss from the States(turkey sandwiches) , or things that Guinea just messes up (public works), or things about the culture that irritate me (foté), but really, Guinea has some things you almost definitely don't have. There is beauty and joy and light and goodness here too.

  1. Starlight : I can see the outline of the palm tree outside my house by the light of the big dipper. I can see the milky way. Walking out of a video club, I am struck by the light from the moonless sky. When's the last time you saw light from the night sky that wasnt light pollution or the moon?
  2. Dancing in the market...no, everywhere : Imagine if everyone in the produce aisle started to break it down around you. Would you join in? That's my market. It is appropriate to dance everywhere, even without music.
  3. An appreciation of fatness : They tell me I'm fat, but with such smiles that it's hard to get mad. Fat means you eat enough. Fat means you live well.
  4. Meals that cost 75 cents and drinks that cost 37 cents. I can eat a delicious filling meal of peanut sauce and rice with a Coke for 1.12. What can you buy for a dollar?
  5. "Recycling" : Kids playing with what we'd call trash, plastic bottles refilled with oil or juice, strainers made from tin cans. There may be no trash system here, but things aren't thrown out as easily either.
  6. Greetings : Everyone says hi to everyone else, every time they see them. It feels friendly.
  7. Fresh Mangoes : I mean just fell off the tree fresh.
  8. Preciousness : People and things are dearer here. People die surprisingly and for unknown reasons. Quality goods cost significant, hard-earned money. For me, I appreciate the things I brought with me. How could i replace my solar charger? What would I do if my ipod broke? (On that note, I took apart my broken kindle and it was awesome! want to know more about e ink, was it microfluidics, what?)
  9. Multilingualism : From a young age, people speak multiple languages because of the mixes of ethnic groups found here. In the US, you'd have some irritating person saying "learn english" but cultural heritage is important here, as is communicating. So I'm learning Pulaar and Susu, though at different levels.

1 comment: