Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Settling In

I know, I still haven't put up any photos. It's true laziness. I promise photos this week.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Ramadan! Which means that nearly everyone around us will be starving during the day and feasting during the night. My host sister says she gets fatter during Ramadan. Who knew?  I can't wear some of my skirts during ramadan, and for some shirts I'll need to wear a scarf, because it's rude to the people who are abstaining from gettin it on with their wives. This seems strange to me as most of the time it's totally acceptable to go topless around here, though shorts = slutty. I guess different things are sexualized in different areas and boobs are not sexy at all here. Still not used to it.

I'm loving my host family, the Fofanas. They're helping me learn Susu and we laugh a LOT. They particularly liked when I said that mosquitos love me. Mary rafan saasi ma. Speaking of Susu, the phrases I hear most are:
  • FotĂ© = white. It's normal for kids to address us this way as we walk down the road.
  • Tana mu xi? (Response: Tana yo mu xi) = Did you sleep with no problems?
  • Tana mu fenye? (Response: Tana yo mu fenye) = Is your day without problems?
Phrases I use most (other than the Tanas and other greetings)
  • N bara luga = I can't eat any more
  • Al barqua = thank you after eating
  • Gbenben gbo = There is too much spice in this dish.
Notice a pattern? We greet people a bajillion times a day, and my family feeds me a TON of spicy food. I talked to them and we agreed to only do rice and sauce every other day, so I get a break from the spice and the fish, and I also get more veggies. Covered in Mayo and oil, like everything here. Oh well, in a few months I'll be able to cook at my own site!

Everyone finds out their sites on Wednesday, so I'll save my news til then.

4 comments:

  1. For some reason this is all I think of after reading this post:

    Mary, Mary, bo-bary,
    Banana-fana fo-fary
    Fee-fi-mo-mary
    Mary!

    Sorry. Must be the name of your host family that triggered that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N wama banini donfé. fluency here i comeeee :) what a cool language!

    the vegetables sound like russian salads. LOVE ME SOME MAYO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad that most of the susu you are learning revolves around food :) that is the most important thing after all. do you think dane would be offended if i took to calling him fote? i rather like that.

    pictures please asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! Thanks for reading my blog guys! Kelsey...how did you know that?

    ReplyDelete