Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"If you disdain black people, why are you here?"

This is the question we got asked in the hostel last night. I came into the conversation about five minutes before this outburst, so it's entirely possible that I missed something truly racist that my fellow volunteers said, but I would be shocked if that were true. None of us is racist. However, I can see that at times, our complaints about Guinean culture, or the drawbacks of our students, or the challenges we live with, could seem to say that we think we're superior to the people that we're here to help. And if you look at our educational backgrounds, our ability to function in a global world, our understanding of politics, economics, and religious diversity, we have experiences that have led to these characteristics that set us apart from our communities. Being white also sets me apart, but not in any meaningful way. It's just annoying to be so noticeable and often so pampered (they will give us good seats, or help us get through the bank line early, and honestly, I accept it because I need all the help I can get trying to stay safe in cars or deal with this foreign system). But are we better than Guineans? No. Americans aren't nearly as hospitable as Guineans, they don't value their family connections in the same way, and they find things to laugh or smile about in the midst of situations that are incredibly tough for me. I am not Guinean, no matter how often I wear a pagne, how perfect my Susu is, or if I master the art of cooking rice and sauce. I will always be different, but at least I'm trying to get to know the culture, I'm trying to change the parts of their culture holding them back (educational system!), and I'm adopting them as family. Anyone who thinks that our group of volunteers is racist just doesn't understand what we live with, and how venting with other volunteers/westerners is a form of coping with the new and foreign environment we deal with.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy the museums, parks, and restaurants of this awesome-seeming city. We'll see!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Mary. As one who has also lived and worked in Guinea I understand the exhaustion of being different. The exhaustion that may occur from the constant being asked “can I have .... & give me your .....” cannot possibly be understood by one who hasn’t yet experienced that daily trial which may even, on occasion, cause one to erupt in a strong, emphatic NO !! followed by a feeling of ‘yikes, did I just express anger??‘ No one had clued me into a very natural condition known as cultural fatigue. During your training you may hear of it, but in the event you don’t, here it is. It helped me to understand myself better in the early stages of transitioning to the new and VERY DIFFERENT culture I was then living in. All the best in 2012 to you and your fellow colleagues. I follow you blogs faithfully and love to hear of all your joys and sorrows as it keeps me connected with Guinea. Thank you for what you do !
    Definition of Cultural Fatigue:
    “Cultural Fatigue is the physical and emotional exhaustion that almost invariably results from the infinite series of minute adjustments required for long-term survival in an alien culture. Living and working overseas generally requires that one must suspend his automatic evaluations and judgments, that he must supply new interpretations to seemingly familiar behavior and that he must demand of himself constant alterations in the style and content of his activity. Whether this process is conscious or unconscious, successful, or unsuccessful, it consumes an enormous amount of energy leaving the individual decidedly fatigued.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you sis and I know you are not the least bit racists. It's definitely okay to vent or feel overwhelmed sometimes. I get that way here even on some days. So keep on swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated by this idea of cultural fatigue, Edie. Were you in the Peace Corps? What do you do now? Mary's mom, Pat

    ReplyDelete