Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Conakry vs. Bamako

I can't compare Mali and Guinea, because I haven't been to Malian PC sites, and I'm willing to bet the experience is much the same: no running water or electricity, poor education system, many cultural challenges. But I can compare Conakry to Bamako, because they are both capitals. Equivalent, right?

Nope.

I tried to get money from my credit union out of four different VISA ATMs here, all on the main street by our hostel. There is one ATM in all of Conakry, apparently, and I have never seen it.

An apple here costs 50  cents. An apple in Conakry costs 50 cents too. However, there are RED apples here!

Bamako has sooo many more tourists. Conakry's foreigners are almost always working in Guinea.

We've eaten wood-fired pizza, cheeseburgers, indian food, texmex, and salads, and haven't gotten sick (true for all but one of our group). Oh and about 40 dollars worth of cheese between all of us. Conakry has pizza, cheeseburgers, and always the risk of getting sick.

I can drink tap water here!!!!! Conakry---no.

Bamako has traffic regulation. During rush hour, one bridge into the city is uni-directional. The traffic in Conakry is terrible. Always.

Bamako has Bambara. Conakry has Susu. Thus, I can speak more easily to regular people in Conakry.

Bamako has been quite the vacation, but it is EXPENSIVE to eat all these goodies. Guinean food is nearly always less expensive.

That's all for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment