Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fête du Ramadan

So, what's it like to celebrate the end of fasting with a Guinean Family? Here's a timeline:

9:00 am I wake up, much later than everyone else in the family

10:00 am Nothing's really going on, so I sneak away to the center and watch Harry Potter 6 (Alas, no 7 or 8 to be had!)

1:00 pm Lunch? I can't tell when my family's eating and I'm not that hungry, though I end up eating a bit at my friend Keila's house.

3:00 pm Everyone starts dressing up. 3, 5, and 7 year old boys in 3 piece suits are SO CUTE.

5:00 pm I start watching Blood Diamond with my family. (not a family appropriate movie, but it is reality/history in this region, so why hide it from kids? There is a scene in a Guinean school in the movie, in case you've seen it. It's accurate.

6:00 pm I eat dinner. YUM squash and beef and manioc and rice. Twas delish

7:00pm Soda time! I bought my entire family individual sodas for the feast. That means 24 sodas, which was basically my entire weekly salary, but I don't spend it all anyway, so I had enough to do that. They were gone ASAP

8:00 pm Discussion with my oldest host brother about his mechanical engineering projects and the stars here vs the stars in the US. Pretty interesting stuff.

9:00 pm time to walk around/dance/see everyone else all dressed up!

10:00pm back to the house for a photoshoot. Everyone wanted their individual full length and bust photos. It was hilarious!

12:00am Sleep after taking out my incredibly itchy braids between 1030 and 12. SO TIRED!

Tada, ramadan!

No comments:

Post a Comment