Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Friday, August 26, 2011

A Good Day

Today was a good day. I'm sure there will be lots of not so great days, so I'll give you the breakdown of a good day. But first, a quick note on susu.

Tears = yaye = eye water
Boogers = noegbe = nose shit
Eggs = toxale =chicken testicles

I love this language. It's fun to learn! Alright, on to the anatomy of a Good day.
Woke up at 7 and I was cold enough that I broke out my sleeping bag to warm up. It was cozy. I studied my lesson plan before getting up, pulling water from the well, and showering. The water directly from the well is warmer than most water, so I had a nice shower and then got dressed in a fun skirt that has pockets! and then I headed to class after eating my bread and cheese for breakfast. I had language, where we learned about useful questions and answers. Finally, it was time for Microteach 2, which meant that I was teaching Kinematics to 12th graders--my second time in front of Guinean students. This time, I learned from my mistakes on Tuesday and I was much more organized and went at a slower pace in my review, so I never made it to the new material, but it was a much better lesson than the first one. We had a fun opening exercise and we made it through a solid review. Then we had more language lessons on the days of the week, and a really laid back time for asking questions and talking about the Muslim religion with our instructor, a 20-something female. Now I'm using the internet, I'll have dinner with my family, and then we're going to do a Harry Potter marathon tonight. (send the last one! hint hint!)

2 comments: