Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Finally a Volunteer!

As of Friday, I am a Peace Corps Volunteer. But how? you ask, believing that I left three months ago to be a Peace Corps Volunteer. Ah, well, see, I was just a Peace Corps Trainee until Friday, when I read in Susu on national TV (you can try to find it on RTG online apparently!), the ambassador spoke to us about our role together in Guinea (of course, Peace Corps and the Embassy have sliiiightly different missions, but it was nice to hear her support), and we all dressed like a flock of birds. Everyone had the same yellow, blue, and white bird fabric made into various outfits.

Then we withdrew what seemed to be an exorbitant amount of money from the bank, and we've been buying supplies for our sites and little luxuries that only Conakry can afford. Today I bought BRIE! ohmygod.

I still don't feel fully prepared for site and I'm worried that I'm going to get there and realize I forgot to buy something essential...but I am not that far from Conakry, and Tanene has a great market anyway.

I miss you all, and I just want to warn that this will likely be the last post for a while. I'm going to try to fix my Picasa picture link, but we'll see how that goes. Most of the pics are on my facebook anyway.

Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Congratulations. Hopefully success.

    http://alvarogomezcastro.over-blog.es

    Greetings from Colombia

    ReplyDelete