Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Monday, August 6, 2012

An Extended Vacation

So I know that I promised I would update my blog alll the time since I'm in the US of A, and then I failed you! I am so, so sorry. I know it ruined your day.

So why? Why, Mary, did you leave us to face the world without blog posts? Well, dedicated reader, I have been ill. Alas. Again.

My trip in the US has been awesome, and for the scheduled time I was just too stubborn to let my stomach troubles bother me, although I did go to the doctor. After four days, the doctor said I had shigellosis. Aka bacterial dysentery. Fun, but didn't fit my symptoms. However, the culture grew, so I guess that was just the cherry on top.

So I'm in Atlanta and last week I saw an Infectious Disease doctor. Some of you may know this is my second infectious disease doc. I think they are my favorite species of doctor. This is only partly attributed to the fact that my first infectious disease doc, Dr. Alter, saved my life. With some help from my mom on the ice-packing extravaganza. But that's another story.

The real reason I like my ID doc is that he's friendly, knowledgeable, and immediately recognized what I had: giardia. Blech. So now I'm being treated for that too. I also had an ultrasound of my insides and blood tests, which will hopefully say that all is almost well so I can go back and do the rest of my service. However, this weekend has been up there in the sickest times of my life, and I have to wonder why my insides feel like someone took a food processor to them and occasionally jabs them with a steak knife.

I managed to have fun with these guys and my parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment