Welcome to my blog! Thoughts, updates, and photos from my 2 years in Peace Corps Guinea.

Monday, June 6, 2016

Current projects

Well, I'm at MIT, but that's not what this blog is about. I've got two projects going on right now, one is going back to Guinea for a STEAM (STEM plus the arts) camp in July. Any donations to defray costs to volunteers is appreciated here.

However, I'd rather you send your donations toward me. Or rather, toward Kalil through me.

Kalil is one of my former students, and he was also Slac's best friend. Because of that, I spent a lot of time with Kalil, and I was always impressed by his determination in school, his kindness, and his sense of humor. Additionally, he was always first to advocate for girl's equality.

Last year, Kalil told me that he wanted to do a master's program in a social sciences field so that he can help develop Guinea. So we started with a computer and computer classes, and some of you helped me raise money for that. Thanks!

Then we applied to programs. I'd send him the essay prompts, he'd send me back his drafts. Wiatta brought his transcripts over when they got lost the first time. And guess what????

HE GOT IN!!

Université Laval: Social Work. It will be a three year program, and I've already set up his on campus housing, his passport, his flight. His visa and study permit are still pending. We hope he'll get financial aid, but he could use some money for rent, some spending money, and I could use some help paying for all the documentation that has been required.

So we talked about ways to raise money, and I said "Kalil, why don't you tell your story, and we'll put a donate button on the blog?" And he said, "Madame, I will do that right away!" And overnight, he wrote me his story. I haven't made it through the whole thing yet (translating it for you) but I already teared up.

Kalil has hope that his life is going to change, and I am so blessed to be a part of it. I hope you'll enjoy his posts, and I hope you'll consider donating for his living costs once he gets to Canada.

Oh man, just wait.

I'll post his story tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment